M. Parke’s Irish Moss, Rosewater, and Apple Face Mask
In addition to crafting ritual bath soaks, herbal remedies, and pieces of fine art, Melissa Parke Rousseau is a nutritionist, breath and color therapy guide, massage therapist, Reiki practitioner, and herbalist. She draws on the insights gained from her own intensive healing journey with advanced stage Lyme Disease to guide her clients into embodiment and alignment.
Below is her make-at-home recipe for a calming and hydrating face mask (good for men and women both).
This piece originally appeared on M. Parke Studio.
Soothing + Balancing Irish Moss, Rosewater, + Apple Face Mask
One of my favorite at home beauty recipes to support sensitive, over heated, + dehydrated skin ::: I regularly play skin alchemist in my own kitchen with ingredients that I also use to nourish my mind, inner body, + spirit. I keep this mask ready in the fridge so there is an extra calming and cooling factor. It feels so amazing when applied and leaves your skin soft, hydrated, calmed, + bright. **I also put a tablespoon of this into my smoothies for an inner glow as well.
IRISH MOSS:: is a type of seaweed that is super rich in minerals and has wonderful detoxifying properties. When applied topically it soothes and softens the skin, is anti-inflammatory, eases rashes + sunburns, and also has anti-aging effects.
ROSEWATER:: Just as rose essence soothes the spirit + mood, rosewater when applied topically soothes inflamed skin, diminishing redness and calming enlarged capillaries just below the skin’s surface.
GRATED APPLE:: When applied topically apples can have a very gentle peel effect. They are super high in antioxidants which nourish the skin, and are rich in Alpha Hydroxy Acids which have a balancing effect on the skin’s PH, dissolve dry patches, and can help lighten sun + age spots.
- Large Handful of Irish Moss
- 3 T of drinkable Rose Water
- 5 T freshly grated organic Apple
- Place the Irish Moss in a glass container and cover with spring water. Leave overnight in the fridge to soak. You want it to soften, become a bit lighter in color, + a bit slimy.
- Rinse the plumped up Irish Moss in the sink, discard water.
- Add 3/4 C of fresh spring water and the Irish Moss to your high-speed blender and blend until smooth and gel-like.
- Add your 3T of Rose Water and blend again. Transfer to a tupperware container
- Grate about 5 T of organic apple and stir into your gel.
- Let cool in fridge. ***This gel will last about 3 weeks refrigerated.
- When your gel is nice and cool, apply to your entire face, neck and chest area.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and remove with a warm soft cloth.
To read the original article, visit M. Parke Studio.
- Self Care,
- Women's Health,