What To Eat For A Pain-Free Period
“Most menstrual, fertility, or low-libido issues can be traced back to core dietary and lifestyle causes.”—Alissa Vitti, author of Woman Code
Whether you’re interested in balancing your hormones to create healthy and wonderful pain-free menstrual cycles (Yes! It’s possible!) or you’re thinking about becoming pregnant, there are simple and easy steps you can take to boost your nutrition and reduce stress in your body so you live in the bliss of hormonal balance. As you know, when your hormones are balanced, life becomes infinitely easier. Your body rewards you with stable moods, consistent deep sleep, amazing sex, pain free cycles and improved fertility.
Discover the single most important dietary factor that influences your hormonal health: Blood Sugar Stability. Learn about what happens when you fall out of balance and how to achieve your own perfect equilibrium.
<< Read more: Balance Your Hormones for a Pain-Free Period by Dr. Patti Kim >>
<< Plus: our Conversations Over Tea with Dr. Kim >>
BLOOD SUGAR STABILITY
While blood sugar stability is essential for maintaining adequate energy and moods, your hormonal health is also at stake.
Here’s what happens when your blood sugar levels spike:
- Excess sugar is stored in your fat cells and can stress the liver.
- The increase in fat cells boosts estrogen levels.
- The liver is responsible for removing excess estrogen from your body and when it is overworking to digest excess sugar, it isn’t able to do its job.
- Too much estrogen in your body can cause and perpetuate problems with menstruation, fertility, and libido.
When you go too long without eating or rely on fad diets, you may find yourself with low blood sugar. Chronic low blood sugar compromises the liver and brain, causing confusion and dizziness, and can also lead to hormonal imbalance. Become aware of these common signs of low blood sugar.
Irregular and painful periods
Exhaustion and fatigue
HORMONAL BALANCE ACTION PLAN
Blood sugar stability and balanced hormones can feel like a case of “which came first- the chicken or the egg?” Blood sugar stability will help your body to balance its hormones. Meanwhile, balanced hormones make it easier to maintain your blood sugar levels. Nevertheless, you can use your crazy-intelligent brain to make healthy decisions for yourself, supporting hormonal balance and blood sugar stability at the same time. And once you reach your own equilibrium, abundant energy, pain-free periods and improved fertility follow suit … the sky’s the limit!
- Maintain your blood sugar stability by eating consistent meals and healthy snacks, emphasizing healthy fats, proteins and vegetables in your diet.
- If you love sugar, pair it with a healthy fat to slow blood sugar spikes. Enjoy your treats thoroughly, but consume in moderation.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol, and enjoy beverages with food if you choose to indulge.
- Keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand (nuts, vegetable crudités, fresh fruit, etc.) so you don’t go too long without nourishing your body.
Perhaps most importantly, if you have any lingering diet mentality that encourages you to skip meals or entire food groups, keep questioning this outdated approach; work on embracing true nourishment and supporting your body with nutritious, whole foods. Lingering eating disorders and dieting behaviors can wreak havoc on your blood sugar levels and hormonal balance.
Photo by Katarina Milosevic via Unsplash
- Self Care,
- Sexual Health,
- Women's Health,